The Balcombe Estate host many activties throughout the year.
Each year the Balcombe Estate in association with Countryside Learning host a introduction to the countryside day with a number of local schools
The day provides an opportunity for the children to learn about what is involved in the management of the estate and to meet the people who work there. The Estate Day incorporates many themes of core importance in the National Curriculum, particularly Geography, History, ESD, Science & Citizenship.
The activities are led by the Estate and Farm staff, and are designed specifically for Yr 5 and Yr 6 for an opportunity to learn about:
- Farming – To find out about the beef herd and the arable crops grown on the estate
- Forestry management and timber processing – To discover how the woodlands are managed and to watch a timber processing demonstration
- Pheasant breeding and management – To meet the young chicks and learn how they are raised and cared for
- Gun dog handling and training – To see the how trained gun dogs work in practical demonstrations
- Horse and tack – To learn about the horses which play a big part in Estate life.